Monday, June 6, 2011

It's the central preoccupation of my life...

Luggage Salesman: Have you thought much about luggage, Mr. Banks?

Joe Banks: NO

Luggage Salesman: It's the central preoccupation of my life.
...
Luggage Salesman: This is our premier steamer trunk, it's all handmade, only the finest materials. It's even water tight, tight as a drum. If I had the need, and the wherewithal, Mr. Banks this would be my trunk of choice.

Joe Banks: I'll take four of them.

Luggage Salesman: May you live to be a thousand years old, sir.

As a wide eyed 10 year old in 1990, I had no way of knowing that Joe Versus the Volcano would have such a drastic impact on my life. I'm not kidding... for those that really know me- I have a mild severe obsession with steamer trunks that has lead to my love affair with Louis!

I once dated a boy that had one such trunk that he had gotten from his grandparents, it was just cast aside in his room- he had no clue how precious it was...I will forever regret the day I told him how special it is and let him in on just what a gem he had. I'm not normally a malicious person- but for Louis... I would gladly have taken it off his hands without him knowing the difference (stupid stupid conscience!)  To his credit- it is no longer cast aside and unloved, it has the place of honor it should as precious piece of art/ furniture.

The now legendary fashion house was founded in Paris in 1854 and in 1858- they changed the way luggage was done!
Up until then, steamer trunks had rounded tops so that rainwater would run off, however they could not be stacked... so with his trianon canvas Louis created the first flat, airtight trunk.  He knew he had struck gold with his idea and in 1876 implemented the, now notorious, coloring of beige and brown (the exact patterns and logos have evolved) to prevent anyone for trying to pass off a knockoff as one if his amazing pieces of luggage.
my dream coffee table!!


the vintage trunks have amazing markings to distinguish both their owners and their travels


If I actually had one- this is probably what I would do!

hello sexy bedside table! With luggage this gorgeous it deserves to be on display not shoved away in a closet!


And yes- they are on tour! to coincide with the release of the gorgeous coffee table book, Louise Vuitton: 100 Legendary Trunks, some of the prime vintage examples of these pieces of history are making they way around the world via museum exhibitions.

"It took me years to work out what was so special about Vuitton. But when you go to the workshops outside Paris and see how everything is crafted, it is pretty impressive. Added to that, it's easily identifiable and I guess human instinct is to want to be part of an exclusive club that's also highly recognizable." Marc Jacobs (creative director at Louis Vuitton)

Dear Marc,
still waiting on my membership card for that club... sure would make a great birthday present... just sayin'
xoxo-me

No comments: